Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

This forum is for discussing and sharing books of all kinds

Moderator: Shana

Aba-AlSadiq

llusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah is a novel by writer and pilot Richard Bach. First published in 1977, the story questions the reader's view of reality, proposing that what we call reality is merely an illusion we create for learning and enjoyment.

Donald William Shimoda is a messiah who quits his job after deciding that people value the showbiz-like performance of miracles and want to be entertained by those miracles more than to understand the message behind them. He meets Richard, a fellow barn-storming pilot. Both are in the business of providing short rides--for a few dollars each--in vintage biplanes to passengers from farmers' fields they find during their travels. Donald initially captures Richard's attention when a grandfather and granddaughter pair arrive at the makeshift airstrip. Ordinarily it is elders who are cautious and the youngsters who are keen to fly. In this case, however, the grandfather wants to fly but the granddaughter is afraid of flying. Donald explains to the granddaughter that her fear of flying comes from a traumatic experience in a past life, and this calms her fears and she is ready to fly. Observing this greatly intrigues Richard, so Donald begins to pass on his knowledge to him, even teaching Richard to perform "miracles" of his own.

Fayrouz

One of the best books I've ever read and one of the closest to my heart, it captivates you and changes your whole perspective on life, a world of illusions, and what you are capable of, if you believe.
The Reluctant Messiah will accompany you for life!
Asma

I love this book, truly amazing! One that leaves you in awe!

Return to “The Great Library of Alexandria”